The wedding cake is a major part of the event, so choosing the right one requires planning, careful consideration, communication and the best part, taste testing. It’s important to allow enough time for making the right decision. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, there are several tips that can help make the process of choosing the best wedding cake as easy as possible.
1. RESEARCH THE BAKERY
Doing research on the bakery can help for choosing one that is reputable and qualified.
– Check for reviews online from previous customers.
– Ask family and friends for recommendations.
– Look up the bakery through the Better Business Bureau to see if they’ve had any complaints filed against them.
2. KNOW WHAT YOU WANT BEFORE GOING TO THE BAKERY
Being as detailed as possible about preferences makes the process easier for everyone involved.
– Know how many guests are attending.
– Clearly explain the theme.
– Bring in samples of your wedding colors so the baker can match them.
– Choose the preferred shape of wedding cake.
– Write down all your preferences so the baker has your exact notes on hand.
3. BE PREPARED WITH A BUDGET
– Be clear that it’s necessary to stick within the range.
– Decide on a range rather than a single dollar amount.
– Have an idea about how much you’re willing to spend per slice.
Little wedding cake details can add up, so knowing the budget gives the baker an amount to work with.
4. CONSIDER YOU FIRST, THEN THE MAJORITY
It’s your wedding, you also want most of the guests happy with the cake choice.
– Choose a flavor many guests will like.
– The opinions of you and your fiancee are more important than anyone else’s.
– Know that it’s fine that not every guest is going to be happy with the choice.
5. ALLOW ENOUGH TIME FOR PLANNING AT THE BAKERY
Choosing a wedding cake is not a process that should be rushed.
– Allow at least a few hours at the bakery just to be safe.
– Take your time looking through pictures of options.
– Prepare for an in-depth conversation with the baker.
– Taste test as many options of wedding cake as possible.
6. LISTEN TO YOUR BAKER’S RECOMMENDATIONS
– Listen to suggestions about what combinations of frosting, cake, and filling work best.
– Be flexible with the overall design to coincide with the baker’s recommendations.
– Consider suggestions from the baker about the size, the design, delivery time, and the average temperature it’s going to be outside.
You know what you want, the baker knows more about what works for making the best wedding cake.
7. GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING
Having everything in writing ensures there’s no miscommunication between yourself and the bakery.
– Carefully read over all the details in the contract before signing.
– Have the baker write down any additional notes directly on the contract.
– Have all the details fully explained, including cost, delivery time and date, set-up process, and refund policy.